Phoenix Youth Symphony Orchestras
Open until filled, applications reviewed as received
The Phoenix Youth Symphony Orchestras (PYSO) is actively seeking candidates to fill our newly established position of Executive Director.
Because PYSO is a training and performance organization, the Executive Director will be charged with creating and overseeing programs that encourage 1st-12th grade students to participate in and learn about classical music. The Executive Director typically interacts with musicians, teachers, community leaders, and volunteer groups. This position requires a forward-thinking, entrepreneurial leader with strong knowledge of music education, current trends in youth orchestra education, and the ability to establish community partnerships.
Essential Duties include but are not limited to:
- Ensures that the strategic vision, mission, priorities, and core values of PYS are in alignment.
- Actively seeks, identifies, and explores the viability of powerful partnerships that advance music in our communities.
- Develop a robust alumni program focused on engagement and involvement in PYS programs and fundraising opportunities.
- The Executive Director reports to the PYSO Board of Directors and is responsible for the day-to-day operation of PYSO and its overall strategic direction, administration, and fundraising consistent with policies and directives established by the Board.
- Provide support for the Board and its committees.
- In conjunction with the Artistic Director and Orchestra Manager develop and ensure implementation of an annual master plan for orchestra operations.
- In consultation with the Artistic Director, seek and obtain new opportunities for performances by the PYSO Ensembles.
- Provide effective, active support for all PYSO fundraising efforts.
- With staff and volunteers, prepare and submit grant applications and reports to foundations, corporations, and government agencies.
- Develop, implement and maintain effective donor/investor/alumni/member communication plans.
- Prepare and submit proposed yearly operating budgets to Board of Directors.
- Develop and implement a marketing plan, Develop and cultivate media relationships
- Maintain the business office of the organization, Supervise and evaluate all administrative staff.
- Prior experience in music and/or arts production and education
- Participation in a non-profit environment for a minimum of two years or similar experience in event management and/or fundraising and organizational management.
- Experience working with a board of directors, or service on a non-profit board,
- Public speaking ability and ability to interact with potential funders.
- Ability to work independently to achieve goals.
Activities are primarily performed in an environmentally controlled setting and may be subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse. Offsite events may involve work subject to local environmental conditions.
Required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work
May require frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 50 pounds
Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities, which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts
Clearly communicate to perform essential functions
Phoenix Youth Symphony Orchestra (PYSO) offers youth orchestra training programs and the highest level of performance opportunities to young musicians in the nation’s sixth largest city. Our students come from all over the Phoenix metropolitan area and from a wide variety of economic and cultural backgrounds. PYSO holds weekly Wednesday night rehearsals in the central Phoenix area.
- Two full orchestras, two string orchestras, two wind ensembles, and a percussion ensemble with 250+ students participating annually.
- Annual weekend retreats for each ensemble.
- Sectional coaching from members of the The Phoenix Symphony, faculty members from Arizona State University and other professional musicians.
- Seven major concerts annually, including a Side by Side concert with The Phoenix Symphony, held at professional venues throughout the Phoenix metropolitan area.
- A Young Musicians Competition — top two winners perform with The Phoenix Symphony.
Instructions to Apply:
Application deadline is 5:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Complete the required information and attach a single Word or PDF document, which includes:
- Cover letter
- Three professional references (names, addresses, and phone numbers.)
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
Submit all information to PYSExecDirsearch@gmail.com
PYS does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.